Address:880 East Blvd.
Architect/Designer:Architect unknown. Statues by Frank Jirouch.
History & Design:
The Czech Cultural Garden is circular in layout with two entrance monuments which declare the purpose of the Garden:
” A memorial to Czech parents who by their solid example set the high ideals of American citizenship.”
The Czech Garden is characterized by its many statutes. They include two full size statues, of Jan Amos Komensky and T.G. Masaryk, which are illuminated at night utilizing a solar powered system.
Komensky was an educator and philosopher, considered the “father” of modern education. Masaryk was the founder and first president of the former Czechoslovakia (now the Czech Republic); his statue stands at the apex of the garden.
In addition, busts of Frantisek Palacky, Karel Havlicek Borovsky, Jindrich Simon Baar, and composers Berdich Smetana and Antonin Dvorak surround a pathway around the garden.
At the back of the garden, a monumental wall completes the design with a frieze depicting the arrival of Czech people in Bohemia and later in America. All the statues were created by Frank Jirouch, a Cleveland born artist of Czech descent.
Then former Czechoslovakian President Edward Benes and his wife planted a linden tree in the garden in 1939 as a symbol of the flourishing Czech culture in the New World.
Improvements to the Garden in recent years were made with the financial assistance from Holden Parks Trust, the Czech Foreign Ministry and the Victor Ptak Family.
If you want more information, contact Paul Burik at firstname.lastname@example.org.